When you join SyndicateRoom you will have to certify that you are one of the following:
1. Sophisticated investor
- I am working, or have worked in the two years prior to the date below, in a professional capacity in the private equity sector, or in the provision of finance for small and medium enterprises; or
- I am a member of a network or syndicate of business angels and have been so for at least the last six months prior to the date below; or
- I have made more than one investment in an unlisted company in the two years prior to the date below; or
- I am currently, or have been in the two years prior to the date below, a director of a company with an annual turnover of at least £1 million.
2. High-net-worth individual
I had, during the financial year immediately preceding the date below, an annual income to the value of £100,000 or more; or
I held, throughout the financial year immediately preceding the date below, net assets to the value of £250,000 or more. Net assets for these purposes do not include:
The property which is my primary residence or any loan secured on that residence;
Any rights of mine under a qualifying contract of insurance within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) Order 2001; or
Any benefits (in the form of pensions or otherwise) which are payable on the termination of my service or on my death or retirement and to which I am (or my dependants are), or may be, entitled.
You can start the registration process here (don’t worry, you’re not committing to invest if you join and it's free to sign up). Essentially, you’ll be certifying that you understand the risks of investing in early-stage companies and that you can make your own decisions.